Oil filter FYI

Tech topics for the JK (2-door & 4-door) models manufactured from 2007 to Present.
JWP
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Peck
Jeep Year: 2011
Jeep Model: JK (2007–2019 Wrangler)

Oil filter FYI

Postby JWP » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:30 am

For those that have a Jk with the 3.late, you can get a little added oil capacity by using an oil filter from various Fords that us a Motorcraft part number FL400S. You do need to make sure that the upper control arm bolt is is in the stock orientation (threads/nut on outboard side).

My Jeep only has a leveling kit in terms of lift, so I can't confirm clearance on a stock height rig but is appears there should be plenty.
Procrastinator
First Name: Tyrannosaurus
Last Name: Tex
Jeep Year: 2007

Re: Oil filter FYI

Postby Procrastinator » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:11 am

The fl400s "was" an increased capacity option up til about 2 years ago when they redesigned it. Motorcraft shortened the can and compensated by "adding" more surface area of a thinner filter material, which came out close to its original effectiveness, but no longer had a larger capacity.
I still use them as it seems to have have a good back flow valve which my jeep likes.
If you can find any of the old style long 400s, buy every one you can.
JWP
First Name: Jason
Last Name: Peck
Jeep Year: 2011

Re: Oil filter FYI

Postby JWP » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:38 am

Procrastinator wrote:The fl400s "was" an increased capacity option up til about 2 years ago when they redesigned it. Motorcraft shortened the can and compensated by "adding" more surface area of a thinner filter material, which came out close to its original effectiveness, but no longer had a larger capacity.
I still use them as it seems to have have a good back flow valve which my jeep likes.
If you can find any of the old style long 400s, buy every one you can.

The one I bought at Orielly on Saturday is bigger than the stock one, but now that you say that it does seem smaller than some of the old ones.
The good thing is if you find a good part store ( I prefer Orielly near Broadway and 150th) They will use their book to x ref for you.

Return to “JK Stuff”