How many hrs for 3 inch lift?

Tech topics for MJ, XJ, KJ and KK models (SUV and Pick-Up) manufactured from 1984 to Present.
fenixboy87
First Name: Cole
Last Name: Cathey
Jeep Year: 1996
Jeep Model: XJ (1984–2001 Wagoneer/Cherokee)

Re: How many hrs for 3 inch lift?

Postby fenixboy87 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Appreciate it man. We'll see what happens with it.
dilleywhopper
BOD
First Name: Adrian
Last Name: Dilley

Postby dilleywhopper » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:10 pm

Assuming the AAL bolts to the bottom of the spring pack, the rears shouldn't take you more than a couple hours. The hard part with the front is getting the Jeep high enough to decompress the springs enough to come out easily. You can use spring compressors, just be carefull.

Best way to do it is by jumping in with both feet!
Look at that, a SILVER Jeep!
ghostrider
First Name: Don
Last Name: Gurley
Jeep Year: 2000

Postby ghostrider » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:52 pm

Hi. I have a 2001 xj Cherokee. I did my 3in lift myself. Fortunately for me, I knew an owner of a mechanic shop. He let me use his lift and all his tools. I do recommend that you spray all the bolts and nuts with penetrating oil and allow it time to work. This will make some of them easier to get off. It still took me 2 days to complete the kit. Here are some things I ran into. Becareful with the coil spring locking clamps. Be careful not to strip or break them off. If you do, you will need to drill and tap to the next larger size. The rear leaf spring can be some work. I had to really work on the left rear. The front bolts on the leaf springs are bolted into the frame. I had a hard time with the left one. Impact (air) tools are a big help. Be prepared to use some muscle puting in the new coil springs. A nice prybar will help. Also, be careful not to snap your left rear brake line with you remove the left rear spring. I would suggest you buy a longer brake line if you are going to do some actual 4 wheeling. I will be easier if you have a shop with a lift and air tools. Also be willing to buy new hardware. Not sure if this will help you. Good luck.
ghostrider
First Name: Don
Last Name: Gurley
Jeep Year: 2000

Postby ghostrider » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:50 pm

fenixboy87 wrote:Ya know. Over the course of the day I've been slowly trying to talk myself into the idea that I could do it. I've watched some videos online and feel like it's possible ... if only I had more room and a dream of a tool box. Isn't there supposed to be a guy who raises his hand and says something like "buy me a 30 pack and I'll do it"?

I have a 2000 XJ Cherokee. I watched some videos on doing a 3in lift. They said about 30-45 min per corner and the Jeep was on a lift. Also, there were at least 4-5 people doing the work. Fortunate for me a coworkers husband owns his machanic shop and allowed me to use his tools, lift and other things. It took me 2 long days to do it myself. Doing it with jacks and jack stands takes a pro or more. I did a suspension lift since a body lift can't be done due to the UNIBODY design. Do yourself a favor and find a shop with a lift and various tools if you do it yourself. Or, like one person said, hire 4 Wheel Parts or Merles on S. Shields. Good luck and hope this helped.

Return to “Compact Stuff”