Project Muttley problems

Tech topics for MJ, XJ, KJ and KK models (SUV and Pick-Up) manufactured from 1984 to Present.
Cherokee Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Shatswell
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ (1984–2001 Wagoneer/Cherokee)

Project Muttley problems

Postby Cherokee Bill » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:20 am

Hello all! it has been A while since I have Posted on here as I have been busy at life. But I will post more on that later. I have been working on rebuilding my XJ for several months and it has come down to the mundane problems of adapting an 88 motor to work with 93 wiring. we have been at this for weeks and cannot get it to run longer than 15-20 seconds. then it will die and seems to have no spark. I have replaced the distributor with a brand new unit and it also has a brand new crank position sensor. We believe it may be a problem with the computer. Does anyone have a 92-94 computer that is a known good working computer that I can borrow for testing purposes? I just need to know before I go spend the money on a new one. I havechecked wirinf and I seem to be getting the correct voltages to the sensors I just cannot get it to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again we are working with the body and wiring for a 93 xj and the drivetrain is 88 xj. Thanks again!
88 Jeep XJ 4½", Frankenstein Lift, 33x12½ Hercules Traildigger M/T, JKS A.C.O.S., Lots of Character(Natures Bodywork)

˙ɹǝʌo ǝɯ lloɹ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
desertratt
BOD
First Name: Scott
Last Name: Howard
Jeep Year: 1990
Jeep Model: YJ (1987–1995 Wrangler)

Re: Project Muttley problems

Postby desertratt » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:07 pm

If I remember correcty, some of the electronics like the crank sensor, and maybe the tps , are different between the obd and renix systems.
90 YJ, 60 front, 14b rear, sbc 327, t350, 203/205 doubler
KA6UAL
Cherokee Bill
First Name: Bill
Last Name: Shatswell
Jeep Year: 1988
Jeep Model: XJ (1984–2001 Wagoneer/Cherokee)

Re: Project Muttley problems

Postby Cherokee Bill » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:20 am

Yeah I think I might have it figured out The flexplate changed in 92. Ill change it out this weekend and see if that fixes it
88 Jeep XJ 4½", Frankenstein Lift, 33x12½ Hercules Traildigger M/T, JKS A.C.O.S., Lots of Character(Natures Bodywork)

˙ɹǝʌo ǝɯ lloɹ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

Return to “Compact Stuff”