Fixeruper

Tech topics for the YJ models manufactured from 1987 to 1995.
flyj
First Name: John
Last Name: Eitzen
Jeep Year: 1989
Jeep Model: YJ (1987–1995 Wrangler)

Fixeruper

Postby flyj » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:48 pm

I started with this jeep several years ago, and it seems to spend about 99% of its time in the shop...but it's not all bad. I traded a busted street bike for this:

It is a 89 Wrangler...at this point totally stock except for the craptastic 3" body lift. 4.2L carbed motor (sucked), torque flight 999 trans (1st and 2nd gear only...sucked), and 231 tcase. Steelies and swampers were the previous owners only worthwile upgrades noticed, but I still took it through whatever I could with the open diffs and terrible drivetrain for about a week before tearing it apart.

The plan was to swap in the 4.0L and Aw4 out of my cherokee. At the same time I stretched the rear with a spring under rear cherokee spring in the back of the wrangler, and a spring over with stock springs in the front. Of course at the time I was working out of my two car garage...not the best setup by far, but it worked. I used a ford dana 44 and GM 14 bolt for this stage.

Image]\

I have a bunch of pics of this, but it is just simple swap stuff. The jeep worked really well setup this way, and I wheeled it quite a bit just like that. I did give it the mandatory OD Green paint job, and eventually shackle reversed the front though...

Added a little tube, a soft top, and some paint:

Return to “YJ Stuff”